Words matter. They’re critical tools for debate, inspiration, and understanding. We take them seriously at Medium. We know you take them seriously, too — 200 million words were published in January, Medium’s biggest month in history. Driving that growth are people well-known and unknown, sharing their insight into what’s happening in American politics and the world at-large. Your posts reveal that substance, candor, and credibility more than ever, from people who can deepen our perspectives and challenge our biases, are paramount.
To get you started, here are five top important topics rounded-up from January:
Donald Trump issued a flurry of…
1. Senator Cory Booker shares his norm-breaking testimony against the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions for Attorney General. Senator Amy Klobuchar also expresses her opposition to Sessions. The Transition Team for President-elect Trump paints a different picture of Senator Sessions’ background and qualifications.
3. President Barack Obama publishes a final letter to his fellow Americans along with his final public speech as the 44th President of the United States. Michelle Obama publishes her final remarks as well.
4. Vice President Biden shares his final…
2.After Fidel Castro’s passing, Senator Jeff Flake calls for a continued policy of engagement — not isolation — that will accelerate change in Cuba.
1.Senator Amy Klobuchar shares what she would have liked to have done with Bernie Sanders on his weekday visit to Minnesota.
4. Throughout the month, Senator Tim Scott shares stories celebrating several cancer survivors.
5. Ahead of the vice-presidential debate, Senator Tim Kaine reminds Virginians of their power to decide this election.
6. Senator Tammy…
3. Hillary Clinton tells stories about three women who have changed her life and then shares what she’s learned as a working mother while laying out her policies around paid family leave, equal pay, and affordable child care.
4. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse asks if the next Supreme Court justice will restore balance to an overwhelmingly pro-business court.
1. Senator Tim Kaine shares a story on Labor Day about his experience growing up and working in his father’s ironworking shop in Kansas City. He also details a plan to address the mental health crisis.
2. Senator Pat Toomey and former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge make the case for maintaining U.S. sanctions against Iran and put a fine point on their grievances with the Iran Deal.
3. President Barack Obama joins Chinese President Xi Jinping in Hangzhou to sign the Paris Agreement, citing it as “the most ambitious climate change agreement in history,” while Ambassador Susan Rice…
1. In celebration of the 100th birthday of the National Parks Service, The White House photographer Pete Souza shares a photo essay of the President’s memorable visits to national parks.
3. In a four-part series, the U.S. Dept. of Education shares the story of 17-year-old Justin Mesteth, who recently started his first week at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, and the adults who helped raised him on Pine Ridge Reservation.
4. Rep. Gus Bilirakis calls for a “simpler, fairer and flatter” tax code that will…
The last two weeks in politics on Medium
2.The second half of July brought us the GOP Convention and the DemConvention, with tons of speeches and plenty of red, white and blue. The RNC published all the speeches from Cleveland here, and the DNC shared most of their speeches in their publication here.
3.Meanwhile, Libertarian presidential candidate Gov. …