Creating a new publication:
Anyone can start a new publication!
To create yours, click your avatar in the top right corner of the screen, and navigate to “Publications.” In the top right corner, select “New Publication.”
Publication name and description:
Your publication must have a two-word name. There are two ways to do this:
- While in edit mode, click the arrow in the upper right corner. This will slide open the menu. You MUST put a publication name and description here.
2. You can also type your two word title and description where it says “Optional heading” and “Optional description.” If you do this first, it will auto-populate the slide-out menu. However, you do not necessarily need a heading and description here if you have a header image.
There are three different images for a publication — the publication avatar, the header image, and the logo.
You can set your publication avatar by clicking the camera in the menu.
Your publication avatar is displayed at the bottom of every story in your publication. It is also displayed on your publication “about” page and in Medium search results if you don’t have a logo. If you have a logo, that will replace your avatar on your “about” page and in Medium search results.
This image appears to visitors to your homepage. It is optional unless you don’t have a heading title.
Set this image by clicking the camera and choosing a file from you computer. You can leave it centered, or click the left-justify button to place it on the left border.
There is no longer a landscape banner image for publications.
For information on how to add a logo, read this post.
Story layout menu:
In this menu, you can:
- Click “+” to add sections.
- Decide what type of stories will populate the section: Latest, Trending, Featured, or Tagged.
For sections populated by Tagged, the stories are listed in order of most recommended.
- Decide which stories to feature from the drop-down menu
- Determine the number of stories to populate the section.
- Set grid, stream, or list mode.
- Display titles on or below the stories.
- Adjust the spacing of the grid layout.
- Remove the entire section.
Add writers, editors, tags, and contact info in the drawer menu:
Click the arrow in the top right corner to slide out the drawer. Click “People” to add editors and writers to your publication.
Feature a story in a publication:
You must be a publication editor/owner to feature a story.
- Make sure your publication layout has a “Featured” section.
- Use the drop down arrow to select the featured story.
Save and see the new look:
To save what you’ve done and see what it looks like:
- Scroll to the top of the page and click the arrow in the upper right-hand corner to open the drawer.
- Click “Create” or “Save.”