What are responses?
Responses are the way you connect and converse with other people on Medium.
When you find a story that inspires, enrages, or otherwise engages you, use the space at the bottom of the original post to write your response. Or maybe you have a question you want answered, or stories you want to hear. Jump in and make your voice heard.
This box is where the action happens:
How do I write a response?
- Click into the box at the bottom of the post, and fire away. Responses can be short and simply formatted. But if you want to turn it into a “full Medium post,” click “Go full screen” in the bottom right corner to expand to the full editor.
- Your response is its own stand-alone post on Medium. It will go into your followers feeds and their daily digest emails, and appear on your profile page. The response will have a link to the original story at the top of the page.
- Be sure to tag your post! You can use the same tags as the original post, or use your own. Your story will then appear in the “latest” column of that tag’s homepage.
- People can recommend your response like any other Medium post. Sometimes, responses get more popular than the original post! It will also be listed in your stats.
- You can request to have responses turned off your post by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How are responses shown?
- If someone you follow writes or recommends a response, you will see it at the bottom of the post.
- If the original author writes or recommends a response, you will see it at the bottom of the post.
- All other responses are behind the “Show more” button.
- If the original author blocks the author of a response, it will only be shown behind the “Show more” button, regardless of whether you follow that author or not.